Above Nav Container

Banner image Hanover High School pencil drawn front exterior of Hanover High School

Utility Container

Search Trigger (Container)

Button (Container)

Mobile Menu Trigger (container)

Off Canvas Navigation Container

Close Trigger (container)


Special Education Department

The Special Education Department is dedicated to providing students with a disability the supports necessary to develop academically, socially, and emotionally.

Lucky, one of the high schools two therapy dogs.


How do you get Special Education?

To receive Special Education, you have to have an identified educational disability that adversely impacts your education and requires specially designed instruction. There are 14 categories of educational disabilities recognized by the State of New Hampshire. Each category has different evaluators, and the determination of an educational disability is made by an individualized education program (IEP) team. The IEP team must consist of a general education teachers, parent or adult student, and any necessary evaluators based on the category of disability. More Information

What is the difference between an IEP and 504 Plan?

A 504 Plan requires a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. The impairment may be temporary or permanent. Accommodations ensure equal access but does not specially design instruction as an IEP does. For example, a student with a 504 Plan may listen to an audiobook recording instead of reading the print book due to a concussion, whereas a student on an IEP may require staff to help comprehend the text due to an educational disability.

What impact does an IEP have on my future?

It is the student's discretion as to whether or not to disclose their IEP to schools or employers. Reporting is not legally mandated.

If I privately tuition my student to HHS are they eligible for special education services?

No, privately tuitioned students are not eligible for special educational services. Students from sending schools are eligible for special education services. Eligibility and services from special education students from sending schools is determined by the student's home district.

Department Members

Learning Specialists

Sally Ameden

SPED Assistant

William Chappelle

Learning Specialist

Sharen Conner

Learning Specialist

Julie Cook

Learning Specialist

Amy Good

Learning Specialist

Karen O'Hern

Special Education Coordinator/SLP

Kathleen Skinner

Reading Specialist

Educational Assistants